The Athenaeum’s purpose is to be a place where its members can nurture a sound mind and a sound body. Keep this tradition alive by experiencing all that the A offers:
- Dine in the best German (and oldest) restaurant in Indianapolis, the Rathskeller
- Enjoy the authentic Biergarten – Indy’s most popular summer gathering place
- Play in the family and community oriented fitness facility
- Celebrate life’s major milestones in the spacious lobby and theater
- Learn about the city’s history by taking a docent-led tour
- Experience a variety of cultural and community events offered throughout the year
- Become a member of the Athenaeum Foundation and support the structure that supports your passion!
Our Mission: The Athenaeum preserves and enhances its historic German-American landmark to advance the Sound Mind in a Sound Body values of its founders through programming that lifts spirits and engages in diverse communities.
Escape the Room is a fun interactive adventure game designed for small groups of friends, family, co-workers or strangers.
New York style pizzeria and prohibition style cocktail lounge.
O’Bryan’s Nine Irish Brothers is an award-winning traditional Irish pub serving premium Irish food, spirits and a full bar. Menu items range from salads to steak to Irish favorites such as Guinness Stew, Shepherd’s Pie, and Fish & Chips. We also feature live Irish entertainment on most weekend nights.
Full service restaurant and operating brewery at the historic former St. Joseph Church off of College Avenue.
Coastal cuisine in a polished casual environment.
Whether it’s the shops, restaurants, culture—or, most likely, all of the above plus more—you’ve got your own reasons for embracing the downtown lifestyle. We understand. And for the same reasons you choose to live in the heart of it all, make the choice to work out here, too.
With a full range of fitness equipment and classes The YMCA @ the Athenaeum has the same amenities and opportunities of other Ys—but we also have a vibe all our own. It’s a little more mature, a little more grown up, a little more…well, downtown.